16 April, 2011

Mr. FELINE

Photo from Wikipedia
I've had enough of this exaggerated idea of masculinity! I don't understand why some men think taking care of a CAT lessens their manhood.

Are you a cat or a dog person? "DOG! Of course!", this kind of man will say as if he is being called a “wussy”.

Is being a ‘cat person’ exclusive to the female species?

I have kept my disdain for this idea for a long time. What makes up a man goes beyond the dictates of culture, his sexuality and some preconceived notions about what type of animals he should be associated with. It's funny that even when it comes to dogs (an animal perceived to be a pet for men) society can still narrow down a man's choice. He should have a pit-bull or a Rottweiler but never a Poodle or a Chihuahua.

My brother takes care of my cats when I travel. He loves my cats and they love him back. Champ runs to the door to welcome him even when he is still 20 feet away. My other brother always speaks of wanting to get one to pet. My male friends play with my cats every time they visit. My cats would always rub themselves on their feet as a sign of affection and acceptance. I have seen so many male volunteers in PAWS (Philippine Animal Welfare Society) who rescue, take care of and love cats the way they do with dogs. My cats’ vets are all males.

So, what is a man's problem when he thinks being seen with a CAT makes him less of a man? One thing I know for sure, when one is too worried about something, there is always a good reason why.

 A REAL MAN can love and take care of a CAT without ever worrying about his manhood. He knows there are other things a man can do to make him less of a man; like domestic violence, cheating, abuse of power, pride and the list can go on and on. Love for animals, no matter what kind, does not have a gender.

 ...or maybe Marvel needs to reinvent Catman.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...