05 October, 2011

What Transcends Species



It was one of those days - a little bit exhausted from the pressures of deadlines at work and I was so eager to have my regular hearty breakfast with my very good friend. While everyone else was getting ready for work, we are just about to end our day. It has become our habit to eat breakfast and ask for a newspaper to read while waiting for our food. We'd browse thru the Entertainment page and make fun of our horoscope updates.

I looked at the front page of the newspaper and I was appalled by what I saw - the sorry state of the victims of the typhoon Pedring. The photo caption says The residents wade through floodwaters to get food and water in Paombong, Bulacan. With several areas in Central Luzon still inundated, the government has stepped up assistance and relief operations in affected communities. (The Philippine Star 10/05/11)
  
I feel for these victims and I pray that they get to put their lives back together fast after this; but aside from feeling bad for them, what caught my attention was the dog on the tree branch. (Please click the photo to get a better look). I was really hoping that it was just asleep and not dead. It broke my heart.
  
I'm sure not everyone will notice the dog in the photo. I know that in any rescue and relief operations, the priority is to save human lives. I would do the same if I ever get caught in that situation. However, this should not stop us from, at least, considering saving our animals. Humans depend on animals for food, livelihood, and, sometimes, companionship; how can we not consider saving these lives when situation calls for it? 

As we think of our own safety, let us not discount the lives of our pets. Keep them close to how we value our lives as much as we can. Prepare for disasters that may happen. Do not put your pets in cages during emergencies so they can, at least, have a chance to fight for their lives. Put a note on your doors stating how many pets are indoors. Train your cats/dogs to listen to your voice. Be mindful of emergency exits. Keep your pet bags/carriers within your sight near the emergency exits so it'll be easier for you to grab them after you save your family. Please include them in your emergency plans. They have LIVES! 

...And if that most painful situation between you and your pet happens, and you are forced to leave them behind or let go of them to save another human or yourself, you can say to yourself that you have done everything you can to save them. (Now, am crying.)

Our pets are not like our dispensable furniture that we can easily replace. Like us, they are capable of feeling fear, helplessness and terror when their lives are in danger. These feelings do not need to be translated into human language for us to feel and comprehend. We understand these emotions very well. Pain is pain and crying is crying. These sensations feel the same no matter who you are or what you are. Life is life and death is death and they both transcend species. These are the very same feelings and facts that make us more human, so let us not forget to be human. Human, in the real sense of the word.







2 comments:

  1. My dogs aren't just my pets..they're my babies.. I hope that doggie in this pic is still alive..

    ReplyDelete
  2. aReM - your dogs are lucky to have you. yeah i hope so too. thanks for dropping by blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...