24 January, 2013

On Richard Parker

Photo source here.

More than a week ago,my friends and I went to see The Life of Pi. Although I am not in total agreement with the final message of the movie (at least how I interpreted it), I can say bravely say that it was brilliantly made and definitely not a waste of money.

This is not a film review so please do not take it as such. I found all the scenes in the movie very endearing especially those where a human shares the screen with an animal. Richard Parker is such a sweetheart to me. He reminded me of my own little tiger at home - Champ. 



Among all the scenes, there was one I can't forget. It hit home. Here it is-


*SPOILER ALERT*

Pi was the only one in his family who survived a sea disaster. As he was trying to figure out how to stay alive in a lifeboat he managed to keep despite the strong current, he finds a zebra, a hyena, a monkey and a Bengal tiger. The first three didn't make it. The Bengal did.

It took time for him and the tiger to get used to and to even be near each other. I actually think that it is one of the best parts of the movie - how Pi managed to stay alive while keeping Richard Parker (watch the movie to know the story behind the name) alive too. He was able to find ways on how to feed Richard Parker and himself. His survival instincts, prayers and hope (the last was repeatedly mentioned in the movie not to be given up) kept them alive.
What struck me was these words from the movie -
I never thought a small piece of shade could bring me so much happiness; that a pile of tools, a bucket, a knife, a pencil, might become my greatest treasures; or that knowing Richard Parker was even what might ever bring me peace.

Without Richard Parker I would've died by now. My fear of him keeps me alert, tending to his needs gives my life purpose.


We all go frenzy over finding our purpose in life. We think that having lots of money will give us more chances to help others, or maybe build a foundation or a charitable institution. Some of us wish we are more popular and think that it will give us a better chance at finding our purpose. Some of us wish to look better because we think that being accepted by everyone is what will give us purpose.

We want so many things and so many people in our lives and forget to pay attention on the things and the people we already have. Our purpose starts at our own circle - our family at home and at work. Imagine a pastor, or a priest, or a church leader, who is hated by his own family. Who would ever believe what he says? Imagine a teacher whose own child cannot go to school. Where's the real value of education?

Our first ministry should be our own. If we are able to fulfill God's purpose in our lives in our own circles, I can guarantee that it takes almost no effort to make it outside that circle. We should make the most of what we have and the things that God graciously gives us and be ready for, maybe, something bigger in time.

Who can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much.
Luke 16: 10a
So where is your piece of shade? What's your pile of tools? your knife? your bucket? and your pencil? Who are your Richard Parkers? Who and what give purpose to your life? I tell you, don't look too far for answers.

Ultimately, we should never falter in the basic truth - our purpose should be after God's.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...