11 May, 2013

Attraversiamo 2013: 5th Leg - Destination Puerto Princesa, Palawan


Lit up, energized and utterly alive - that was how I wanted to feel on my next travel. I've traveled a lot but sometimes when you've done something (even the ones you like so much) so many times, you look for something new and something to discover; not always from the places you visit, but more so from yourself. 


I made a decision to schedule a solo trip to a place I have never been to.

Palawan has been an elusive place for me. There is something that is so magical and mysterious about it that scares the hell out of me sometimes. Good scare, it is! Unfolding this mystery and breaking the fear can sure make me lit up, energized and utterly alive. Exactly what I want.

I booked a flight. I had about a month to prepare for this. By preparation, I meant save money and get well. I was sick for days.

The first time I planned a solo trip was a failure. It was a failure because I couldn't keep my mouth shut and started sharing my plans with my equally excited friends. By the time am done sharing the news, we have already cheerfully decided we are all traveling together. Here's that Sagada trip.

The same thing almost happened in this trip. I almost traveled with other friends - one who badly needs a travel and wants to tag along with me and another who happened to have also booked a flight to the same place. Since I was trying to be hardcore with my solo adventure plans that I told the latter never to talk to me when he sees me in Palawan and that we have to pretend that we don't know each other.

I pushed through (I know I will, that's closed deal!) They didn't. One decided to just give me that personal time off I badly need, and the other badly wants to but couldn't due to an unfortunate situation. Before I left, I felt his pain. Any traveler would feel that when missing that chance to go out because of something that is out of one's hands. That's devastating! I understood so I asked what "pasalubong" I can bring. This was the response I got, "Take me to Palawan." Coming from a good friend who loves to travel but can't at that moment, it crushed my spirit.

I, being a lover of "virtual" things, decided to make him my virtual diary, which, by the way, I badly needed for my blog (this entry). This Palawan travel entry will be a little bit different from my usual entries. I will take YOU ALL to Palawan with my friend, and with me.

What you are about to read are bits and pieces of the travel. Some entries were not made available to you nor to the virtual diary. It's the writer's priviledge to control the content and decide which are worth sharing and which are for keeps. *Winks*

Enjoy!


DAY ONE
May 4, 2013

Entry One

Dear Virtual Diary,

What a relief to have a virtual diary. To have someone who is eager to hear every bit of adventure I will stumble upon. I hope you don't doze off with my stories.

I've had chances to go to Palawan but I never took any. There is something so special and elusive about that place that I am reserving if for the unknown. It gives me both fear and anticipation in equal measure. I am scared to be disappointed too. I am not expecting or preparing for a luxurious trip. In fact, I want it to be as simple and laid back as possible.

I am 15 minutes away from boarding the plane to Puerto Princesa. and I still can't believe I am taking this trip.

Am scared, VD, but that's exactly what skyrockets my anticipation.

I will harbor all the way to commune with God, nature and myself. Cheers!

Fox

Entry Two

Dear Virtual Diary
When traveling alone, I always wonder what kind of a person I will sit beside with. Am not a chatty seatmate. I don't even smile, at least not proactively. I just talk when asked and I always hope I don't get asked. Upon settling, I play music and anticipate the ascension of the plane. Believe or not, taking off and landing planes are favorite experiences. 

I am seated beside the window, a favorite spot. And I can't wait to fly and touch the sky.

Up! Up!

Fox

Entry Three
Dear Virtual Diary,

Touchdown!

Thank God for the safe flight. I was also able to steal a 15-minute nap above the clouds.

The view was stunning! God must have spent so much time creating Palawan. It is a paradise. I tried taking photos but eventually deleted it. A scenery like that intimidates me. No photo ca ever justify what my eyes see. 

Am in my hotel's van now waiting for another passenger before heading to the hotel. Again, am curious to know who it will be. Every thing is new. Every little thing is a surprise. Surprise me more!

Fox

Entry Four

Dear Virtual Diary,

I will be staying in Go Hotel. It's affordable, convenient for transportation and safe. I heard good feedback about the facilities and accommodation. 


They can't accept guests until 2PM. I arrived early. I decided to check in my bags for a reasonable amount for its safety and my convenience and start walking around. I can't waste time. I want to go out and have lunch. Am excited to explore on my own. However, a good friend who lives here said she has prepared lunch, which is so sweet of her. She'll meet me in 30 minutes but like I said, I can't waste time so I went around the nearby mall.
 
 No time wasted!
 Fox
Entry Five

Dear Virtual Diary,

I was so thrilled to see Mars, a very good friend. Look at what this Island Girl has prepared for me! A sumptuous home-cooked meal beside the beach!


What else can I ask for? 

Pristine Beach, Puerto Princesa Palawan

Pristine Beach, Puerto Princesa Palawan

While we we're chatting, local fishermen passed by to show us their catch. Look!





What a good chance to catch up about our lives. What a good chance to reconnect to the beach, nature and an old friend.

There's more.

Fox



Entry Six


Dear Virtual Diary,

Time to check in the hotel before heading to another beach with Mars. Getting into my room gave me this exciting feeling of independence. It's a good feeling to have every now and then.

We headed to another beach and I went to church.

This my Church today. A place of worship. 

BM Beach, Puerto Princesa Palawan




As we were enjoying the serenity of the beach, we met an Australian traveler who showcased his musical talent for us. We talked a little bit about his travel adventures, taste in music and other things. It was nice to hear other people utter words to describe traveling, music and art the same way I would. Refreshing!
He is going to El Nido soon and am extremely jealous. But I know I'll get there soon.



 After staying for an hour or so in the beach, I realized that I did not bring extra clothes so I went back to the hotel via tricycle dripping wet. Something I have already done many times and have never failed to enjoy doing.

What's for tonight?

Fox


Entry Seven


Dear Virtual Diary,

The night is young but i feel like I have already done a million things. My body is tired but my spirit is longing. Am giving in to my spirit.

Am staring at my bed now with its soft cushion and white blanket and pillows. I can already imagine the comfort it can give me when my skin touches them. But am not jumping in. I will prolong the anticipation and delay the comfort. Am joining Mars and Craig tonight for dinner.

...because the night is young.

Fox



Dinner at Nevas Place with Mars and Craig


Neva's Place

DAY TWO
May 5, 2013

Entry Eight


Dear Virtual Diary,

Another day. Am alone in my room and am in a place am not familiar with. I like the feeling it gives me. A good ahead, I hope. I stayed on my bed for a few hours more to enjoy the sweetness of doing nothing (dolce far niente).
 Just before lunch I decided to start hunting for a ride that will show me around the city. Am alone and I need to be able to find a tricycle driver I can trust, and more importantly, get a good deal from. Ha! I did. Found a very good deal from a gentleman.
First Stop - Chao long
Chaolong is a Vietnamese noodle dish, which is very popular in Puerto Princesa. History tells us that there were many Vietnamese refugees who fled to Palawan and brought their native cuisine.

 I asked the driver not to bring me to an expensive chaolongan (what they call places who serve chaolong) but to the most common go-to of the public. They say chaolong goes well with french bread so I tried both.

 
 
 
Second Stop - Immaculate Conception Cathedral
 

Third Stop - Plaza Quartel


Fourth Stop - Palawan Butterfly Garden - a privately-owned garden whose goal is to conserve native butterflies.

  
Fifth Stop - Palawan Baker's Hill




Sixth Stop - Mitra's Ranch





 Seventh Stop - Palawan Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Center

 Eight Stop - Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm - a prison facility established in 1904 to serve as depository for prisoners who could not be accommodated in the Bilibid Prison in Manila.
 

Entry Nine


Dear Virtual Diary,

I consider this prison trip as the highlight of my travel. I knew I would have to venture it alone and I couldn't hide my excitement. As I entered the site, the prison guard asked me if I really was in the right place. If I was, he asked if my boyfriend had really allowed me to be there. That's when I smiled coz I knew he was just pulling my leg. He gave me reminders and asked if I plan on meeting and talking to some inmates and I excitedly confirmed.



I went around the facility careful not to make anyone feel uncomfortable. The place has vast space for recreation. You will also meet people walking and you'd think they're residents or visitors until you see their IDs. They are prisoners. Although some already got to live with their families. Except for those under maximum security, prisoners here are not locked up. They are given the privilege to work and walk the vicinity.

 
I went to the Souvenir where you can see handicrafts made by the prisoners. This is a source of income for them. Here, I also saw the famous Dancing Inmates of Ihawig rehearsing for a dance number. I was also informed that I can order my favorite dishes and they will cook it for me.
 
 

 I was a bit overwhelmed when I arrived as there were about 5 who offered to show me around. I suppose each has a story to tell and, most importantly, a product to sell. I went around and didn't really like any except for a cool ref magnet. Maybe a little bit frustrated, I sighed. An inmate from a far noticed me and approached me. He said, "Alam ko gusto nyo, ma'am" (I know what you want, Ma'am). He led me to the orange prison shirt and he was right! Got one for myself! Can't wait to wear it!
On my way out the site, I waved goodbye at the prison guard and thanked him. I went home and I couldn't hide my smile.
On my way, out to the world again. Laya na! 

Fox


Entry Ten

Dear Virtual Diary,

This would be my last night in Puerto Princesa and I am determined to spend the night away. Am going out with Mars again and have dinner, drink a little, watch performances and have fun. These are the places we went to:

Kinabuch Grill and Bar

Kinabuch Grill and Bar

Katabom Bar

  
Asturias Hotel

Mars went up the stage and played with her friends. She sang me songs and I was grateful and a little bit sad because I know I would miss her and her beautiful city.

Making the most out of the night.
Fox


DAY THREE
May 6, 2013
 
Entry Eleven

Dear Virtual Diary,
 Am still in disbelief on how swift time has passed by. I want to stay longer but I have to go home. I can always come back, right?
I am taking away a million things with me home. Some I will talk about on my blog. Some I will keep forever to myself. Ending a travel is never easy for me. I have been to this many times but it never gets easy. In fact, it becomes harder every time.

Thank you for keeping me company and for pushing me to tag you along in this travel. You asked me so many questions that when I answer, I knew, somehow, it's almost like you were traveling with me.

I am extremely sad leaving but insanely excited to come back. After all, I left many reasons to. And what's so magical about this place and this trip? I think this is going to be the start of my solo occasional solo adventures.

Until then.

Fox


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...