21 July, 2014

An Apple I Did Not Bite

Last Friday, I posted the attached photo on my Facebook page. It immediately garnered 'likes'. Some of my friends thought that I bought myself a new Iphone. Well, I did get an Apple but I did not bite it. Here's the story:

On our way home from a mall, my friends and I decided to hail a cab instead of commuting. I was the first to get in. Immediately after I opened the door, I saw a phone lying on the car floor. I took it but kept my silence as I was trying to observe the driver if he knew of it. Then, I called the attention of my friends. I knew right away, without an iota of doubt, that I will be returning it. I was just too hesitant to hand it over to the driver. Not to sound judgmental but I did not want to place him into that 'middle road' - whether to return it or not.

We checked the phone. We had to so we can, at least, get a number or receive a text. Unfortunately, the phone was locked. Dannie, my friend, tried to remove the SIM from it so we can place it in my other phone and call someone, until it rang. Someone was looking for someone. I did not talk about finding the phone yet as I was not sure who I was talking to. I wanted to make sure it was the owner I get to talk to. I waited for him to tell me about the missing phone first before I give him instructions on how to get it from me. He figured out right away so he called again and put his girlfriend (the owner) into the three-way call.

To keep the story short, I arranged a meet-up with her. I initially wanted to meet up in a mall but she couldn't make it to the time I suggested. I went home first and gave her instructions on how to see me. I tried to put myself in where she was. I knew that she would not feel comfortable seeing a stranger so I gave her instructions to go inside the bank near my place. I thought it would make her feel safer to meet me when she is inside a secured place. We saw each other and I met her dad . (I would, also, drag someone else with me if I were in her shoes.) The gratefulness I saw in her, her boyfriend, and most especially, her dad, was enough to compensate for the long day.

I am writing this not because I want to glorify myself. I am writing this because of the two things I want to stress:

1. When you suffer with others, you will do more than just the good thing. I placed myself in the shoes of the lady. I made it my own situation. I knew and understood exactly what her fears were in meeting me. This way, I made her feel comfortable in meeting me.

What made me strongly motivated in doing what I did? I asked myself, "What if this happened to me?" I would want someone else to do the same for me. She was scared the first time I talked to her over the phone. I could feel her trembling voice.

2. Pay it forward. When I was Nicaragua, I lost my phone. I was outside my country and in a place who does not speak my language but I was served with kindness. The stranger who got my phone returned it to me. So you can praise me all you want for doing this but I, actually, just paid forward.

There's already too much pain and suffering around. Let's feed the good one!

PS: I made the right decision of not surrendering it to the driver. My friend said the driver did say that he hoped he got it for himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...