17 February, 2014

Why I No Longer Fall for Flowers

I initially planned to post this last Valentine's Day but thought of moving it to today just so it doesn't get drowned by all the love waves of the day.

First of all, let me make myself clear. I have high respect for men who take the time to buy their women flowers and chocolates. Any woman who receives a gift will surely appreciate the gift and the giver.This post is just to explain that some women may already be looking for something more than what everybody else is doing, myself included.

I no longer fall for flowers because:

1. I have seen the act since childhood.

When I was kid, my father gave my mother flowers on different occasions. It was sweet of him. However, my mindset changed when he gave her a bouquet of flowers made of plastic material. At first, we all laughed at the idea. But when the days passed, we got the point. A lot of things have already happened and the flowers are still there. We’d, sometimes, even joke about it. “Baka mabasag iyong regalo ni Nepo kay Dolores.” (Careful not to break Nepo’s gift to Dolores).

We got the point. It stays longer, thus, it reminds longer.

2. I have already experienced it.

I have received flowers from relationships I have been. Thank you, gentlemen! It was sweet of you, but I was already swept away by a man I know since I was born. My father was the first man who has ever given me flowers for an occasion I could no longer remember. He gave me one rose he got from somewhere.

I remember Pastor Paolo Punzalan of Victory Fort when he preached and advised the fathers of the church to give flowers to their daughters and sweep them off their feet, so when the right time comes and a guy does it for them, they already know better. They will know that merely receiving flowers from a man does not say equal love and that there are more important things that a girl should look for in a man.

When I was a high school teacher for seven long years and for every occasion I can think of, I’d bring home bunch of flowers. I got used to it. To me, it became the easiest way to please a lady. I appreciated it but I will not fall for it.

3.I want something else.

The best gifts I got (whether from a romantic or friendly relationship) are those that are well-thought of. I got a view of a lagoon, a second-hand cassette tape of a favorite rock band (yes, tape!), a compilation of my favorite songs produced in the same year, a ticket to NU 107 Rock Awards, a ticket to a concert, a red lamp that matches my red room, a McDonalds breakfast inside a car parked in a spot overlooking a city at night, a set of sexy undergarments, an artistic photo of me, and a lot more interesting ones that I will intentionally not mention here for a reason.

Gentlemen, am not saying that you stop giving flowers. Am just saying that you get to know your lady more. You will be surprised by how much she will fall for it.

As for me, an edible flower will do. Just like one of the flowers you can see from my photo.

Happy Valentine's Day, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...