08 September, 2010

What happens in Corn Island, Cannot stay in Corn Island

The Corn Islands (Spanish: Las Islas del Maíz) are two islands about 70 km east off the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua, constituting one of 12 municipalities of the Región Autónoma del Atlántico Sur department. The official name of the municipality is Corn Island (the English name is officially used in Spanish-speaking Nicaragua). (wikipedia)

Corn Island has always intrigued me and I just couldn't go back home without taking a trip to this interesting island in Nicaragua. I'm glad I did. I experienced a few of the best things in life in this place.

I experienced the best air travel I have ever had in my life getting on a YN-CGI aircraft that everyone warned I should pray about; it was an awesome dangerous ride! (or maybe i just love air travel a lot).



For the first time I danced and sang like no one was looking standing on a moving sunroof car in a place where no one knows me.

I danced Samba with Yasi and the famous Corn Island slow dance with Harry on a dancefloor with black lights when I have decided to wear white pants prior to going to sort of not catch too much attention; I guess it was a wrong move. Wohooo!


I saw the amazing Bluefields during the layover.



I saw and took pictures of the historical small pyramid at the top of Quinn Hill. It is one of 8 sites around the world. Others include: Cocos Islands (Australia), and their antipode, Kalahari Desert (Botswana) and the Hawaiian Islands (USA) Tierra del Fuego (Argentina or Chile) and Lake Baikal (Buryat Republic) Galicia (Spain or Portugal) and the South Island of New Zealand.


I went to the Little Corn Island on water taxi.
 



I had my hair dreadlocked for the first time (and was not able to come to work the next day with it during a client visit,hehe!).


I had to pass through a window (being the one with the smallest physique) to open the door from the inside for staying out too late going around the city.

  
I played with Angeline a little girl who calls me "little girl".



I took the very first sunset picture that I was proud of using my newly learned manual settings. It was the first picture I felt good about after what seemed like thousands of trial-and-error in my attempt to prove I got something from what a friend of mine was teaching me.



I had dinner at an awesome secluded restaurant overlooking the island.



I enjoyed the beach with Jhunnie until late night where we shouted our sentiments at the top of our lungs because no one else was there.

On my way home, I sat at the back seat of the pilot (a super handsome one, if I may add) and witnessed all their plane operations (which I bragged so much about to my brother who's into plane ops). Although I can only understand a few of what they were saying in Spanish). 



And most of all, I celebrated my friendship with Yasi, Jhunnie and my newly found friend Harry (who loves Manny Pacquiao a lot);





fell in love with Nicaragua even more;

gained so much respect for the people of Corn Island who preserved their simple, amazing culture;

and praised God for His awesome, awesome creations.



- April 16-19, 2010





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...