06 February, 2011

Not that Good.

“You are good…BUT not that good. That’s why you need a team.”
Ptr. Joey Bonifacio of Victory Church – Fort Bonifacio



A title of a book on Leadership by Gofee and Jones
and I have not read this book. Ha!
This line got stuck in my head in a really good way. Every time I accomplish something good at work I always tell myself these exact words. It is my way of giving myself a pat on the back and keeping my feet on the ground. I hope I have never shown anything that would suggest otherwise.

I did not graduate from any Black Belt Leadership Trainings so I may not be the most reliable person to talk about being a leader. The only credibility you could rely on in me is my age and experience. I have spent enough time to be both a leader and a follower in many different ways. I have experienced different leaderships and I have risen and fallen as a leader too. I have met so many bosses - some I directly report to and some I only get to observe from afar. I have learned a lot of so many good things from each of them and I always take virtual notes. However, I have also seen some challenges. I have seen one who always breaks a promise, one who does not spend enough time to attend to the needs of his people, one who shouts faults yet whispers praises, one whose first project after promotion was to find his own office no matter what it takes, one who only remembers people when needed but seems to limit own vision in celebrations, one whose emotions you need to babysit all the time BUT the worst kind? - the one who never looks back far enough to see every single people who made and continue to make every single success possible; the one who never looks up or down.

Yes, "... you are not that good that's why you need a team".

The "Team" is not just composed of the people you share coffee with during breaks, the ones you exchange emails with or the big wigs. If you widen your horizon, you'll be surprised with how big your "Team" really is. Your "Team" is composed of different "Teams" - from the team of the man who inspects your bag before entering the office door to ensure security of your workplace, the lady who replaces the tissue papers in the rest rooms, the man whose expertise in IT helps you solve technical issues, the quiet man in charge of quality control who dives deeper into the real score than you can, the lady who trains your people from the first to the last word they need to say, to the man who can't join your team late night outs because of his family but has delivered numbers the best he can, down to the team of that girl who graduated with a field of expertise that is way different from what she is doing for you now but gives her best to give the numbers you want. Your "Team" are not numbers. They are not statistics.

Yes, ... that's why you need a "Team" because you can't do it on your own.  

We all can't do it on our own. I wish all leaders live by this principle.

I thank God for my team and all the other teams I have worked with. Just like what Oprah said, "I am only as good as the people I work with."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...