25 April, 2012

An Encounter with Mr. Macho

Image borrowed.
Last night, around 7:45, I had a horrible public transportation experience. I got on a jeep going to work and placed my precious life on a very irresponsible and arrogant PUV (public utility vehicle) driver. I have very high respect for PUV drivers. I’ve had really meaningful short conversations with a few (especially during a long travel) and have always had respect for the job that they do. These drivers endure the heat of the sun, the coldest of nights, the recurring oil price hike, passengers who don’t pay right, possible road accidents, bad income days, heavy traffic, and in some cases, inconsiderate PUV operators they have to report to.

Mr.  Macho is different. First of all, he drives like he is on SCTEX (Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway – a 58-mile expressway North of Manila, PH). I don’t drive and I am not knowledgeable of speed limits and all that jazz but I travel a lot and I know very well that his speed isn’t for the road we’re taking.

Secondly, he brags about his speed driving like it’s a badge of honor. He has an assistant, a fare collector, who is sitted beside him; and another fan-passenger sitted behind him in the passenger’s area. These two men cheer Mr.  Macho on for every swerve he makes and every blind curve he takes. The bragging didn’t end there. Mr.  Macho loudly tells his fan-passenger how the other guy gets scared whenever he’s with him. He also brags how he treats every jeep he drives like a bus because he’s used to it.

Ready for the third badge of dishonor? Mr. Macho comments on every female passenger that gets on his jeep (even those he sees on the street) while his two disciples applaud him like crazy. The comments are, of course, sexual in nature.

Ready for something worse? He rates these women he talks about like he has the right to. He’d even whisper his unsolicited comments before a female passenger gets off the jeep.

Clearly, this man has manhood insecurity problems. I don’t have the time to counsel him on this part of his life as I really needed to make it to work on time last night. More than this machismo issues, I was concerned about his driving behavior. I was his passenger. Every time we get on a PUV, we are placing our precious lives on the hands of the drivers. I don’t think Mr.  Macho understands how important his job is.

Clearly, he CAN drive but can he RESPONSIBLY drive?

In any type of job, whether it is behind a desk or under the heat of the sun, it is not enough that we CAN do it. We should know how to take responsibility and ownership of what we can do. To me, this makes a huge difference. What sets those who enjoy what they do, whatever it is, from those who merely feels they need to do what they do is responsibility which comes from passion.

If you are a waiter, wait tables responsibly.
If you are a PUV driver, drive responsibly.
If you manage a team, manage your people with a sense of responsibility.
If you are a food vendor, do it responsibly.
If you are a janitor, be proud at how you do it responsibly.

No job is small or big. No job should be looked down upon when one does it responsibly. I don’t look down on Mr.  Macho  and his job but I do feel sorry for him. I’d probably feel worse if I find out he has a wife and kids.

For now, I am making a conscious effort not to get on PUV plate number UVS290 (SOGO-Gabbys line) when he’s the one driving. Yes, I look at the plate and the face. I make a conscious effort because I have a life and a family I am responsible for.

Disclaimer: UVS290 may be owned and operated by someone else and Mr. Macho may just be one of its drivers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...