08 April, 2014

My Coffee Journey

For more than a month now, I have developed a more intimate love for coffee. I don't just mean drinking a cup. Drinking is just the habit, something I think I got from my father seeing him savor his cup every morning. By intimate, I meant a deeper understanding of what it is and everything that happens before one savors a cup.

I have educated myself a little, in all possible ways I know of at the moment, of its beginnings and all the processes that a coffee goes through - to farming, to picking and harvesting, to processing and drying, to roasting, to grinding and brewing. I have also read a lot about my country's contribution to its market. I found out that we used to be the fourth largest coffee producer in the world in the 1800's. Various factors have caused it to change and we are slowly trying to make it again.

My discoveries have also lead me to take more frequent trips to different coffee shops. I developed a higher sense of respect for those who make it, flourish it, and keep it, especially the hardworking farmers. I also applaud those who support the local industry.

I remember visiting a coffee plantation when I was younger. I may have to schedule another visit again soon. I am hungry for more.

I will write about my discoveries and I will include you in my journey. I will make you love coffee in a more meaningful way (if you are not yet on that stage).

Because it is so much more than just knowing what to say when you order it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...