01 January, 2011

Eavesdropping on the Lives of Dave and Grace – Flash Two

Scene Two

The restaurant was on the second floor right across a pancake house they once had breakfast in. It was a beautiful place; maybe a little ordinary from the outside. The windows were open and the cold night breeze passed thru everywhere.

She walked a few steps away from their car and towards the stairs; left him about to go out of his car. “He’d catch up.”, she thought. Then she heard him close the car door.  
Photo taken 12th December 2010, Manila PH
It was a very familiar sound. A sound she has heard many times. It didn’t sound any different from other car doors being closed but it was a sound that comforts her heart. It was the same sound she hears from her bed right before he comes to her door to pick her up. It’s the same sound that puts a smile on her face, “He’s here!” She can close her eyes and replay that sound in her mind and it would give her the same amount of comfort.
He caught up and asked, “What do you want to eat?”
“You tell me.”, she smiled.
“I always tell you what to eat. It’s your turn to decide.” he answered with a bigger smile.
They asked for the menu and placed a to-go order and waited.
She looked at him and said, “You look tired.”
“I am tired.” he answered while yawning.
“I’m sorry you had to do this for me. Thanks for driving me here.” She felt bad for him. This isn’t the first time he did this for her – take care of her.
“Nah, I want to do this, tired or not!”
In her attempt to lighten the mood, she said, “You know that if I have a car and I know how to drive, you wouldn’t have to do this, right?”
He laughed, “I want to be bothered by you.”
She gave him a sweet smile.
He complained “It’s so cold!”
He took her right arm and rested his head on it and closed his eyes. With her left hand, she gently brushed the hair on his forehead as if putting him to sleep. After more than two minutes, she whispered, “It’s ok, you can sleep. I’ll wait for the food.”
“I want to teach you how to drive.” He was awake.
She smirked, “Hey, you are not a hero! Ok?!  You want to do a lot of things for others. You teach me film making; you also said you want to teach me how to swim, and speak French, and Tango… and now you want to teach me how to drive?”
He sat up straight ready to make a point. “Yeah, I want to teach you how to drive so if I am not around you can drive yourself to get food… only when I am not around”
There was sadness in her face, “But there’s not enough time!”
He answered, “There is a lot of time. There’s plenty of time.”
Silence.
They both knew SHE was right.
Then, the food was ready.






2 comments:

  1. i wish i was grace so i cn be wd dave..though ts shrtlivd..wts matters is how dy luv...

    keep blogging any more scenes to come???

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous - thanks. i'd have to convince Grace to share some more. (fingers crossed) :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...