17 January, 2011

Sentiments of the Eyes behind the Camera

photographer [fəˈtɒgrəfə] n - (Business / Professions) a person who takes photographs, either as a hobby or a profession. (Collins)
:one who practices photography; especially : one who makes a business of taking photographs (Merriam)

Photo by Peter Traña.
I was never comfortable calling myself a photographer for the very reason mentioned above. I am not a professional photographer but, by all means, I take photographs as a hobby; thus my question, does that make me one? If a photographer is defined as someone who takes photos as a hobby, then with all the DSLRs and digital cameras selling like hotcakes, it looks like anyone can be called a photographer. So, what sets apart a non-professional photographer from a mere camera owner?

I don’t get paid for taking photos. I don’t own a studio. I don’t have strobe lights. I only rely on my kit lens and a cheap tripod but I have invested so much time, money, sweat and tears learning it. A very good friend of mine dedicated his precious time teaching me what he had learned from his photography school. I also took a few courses myself. It took me months to reconcile with the three brats I call shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Until now, the four of us are still on a love-and-hate relationship. I studied the manual settings so I could lessen the use of post-process. I don’t take photos all the time but when I do I put my heart and soul into it. I don’t always produce great photos but that’s how I learn – through my mistakes. They say, it takes 10,000 photos for a photographer to be good. Believe me, there was a time that I actually took count of my photos out of my desperation to be a good one.
When you don’t have a name that sounds famous and you carry a DSLR and produce a pretty good photo out of your meager knowledge in using the manual settings or playing around the three brats or creating a good composition or mood or color, the best compliment you’ll ever receive is about how great your camera is. The next questions are pretty much predictable – What’s the model? How much? Some would even try to make you feel better by saying they hope they can afford it like you could.
What others lack I try to fill in myself in appreciation of other photographers – professional or not. I take time to study what was produced in a photo – composition, story, settings, or at times, intention. I don’t stop at just knowing what camera was used. I take time to know the person behind the lens.
I guess this sentiment is not only experienced by photography enthusiasts like myself but even the best of the best professional photographers. I guess some people will not truly understand the work that goes from the time you visualize everything in your mind, to the time your fingers start playing around the settings, to the moment you release the shutter at the same time as your heartbeat, to the photo produced and sometimes even to the post-processing.
If you are one of those who don't understand, I am letting you in now. My photography world is very small at the moment and may not be as beautiful as I want it to be. But my photography world is within an even bigger photography world. I am letting you in my world so you can get in in theirs as I have let myself in.
Let me share this anecdote I came across a long time ago but have not related to until I learned to press the shutter, here it is:

When Jack London had his portrait made by the noted San Francisco photographer Arnold Genthe, London began the encounter with effusive praise for the photographic art of his friend and fellow bohemian, Genthe. "you must have a wonderful camera...It must be the best camera in the world...You must show me your camera." Genthe then used his standard studio camera to make what has since become a classic picture of Jack London. When the sitting was finished, Genthe could not contain himself: "I have read your books, Jack, and I think they are important works of art. You must have a wonderful typewriter." - Anonymous

Funny but true...and sad.

So, the next time you see a photographer, remember this writing and the small world I let you in. It will allow you to enter the bigger world in no time.

Honoring all the PHOTOGRAPHERS in the world!
Thank you for freezing time in this fast-pace world.



2 comments:

  1. Very nice post Fox! I still haven't mastered the art of the 3 brats. LOL! Here's hoping I could join your photo shoots soon! I'm planning to go to Binondo for Chinese New Year to hopefully get my photo mojo back. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be wonderful. if we are free (we have a lot of clients around and new classes too that time) maybe we can join. *crossing fingers and hoping :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...