10 January, 2011

The Jailbreaking SERIES: Bryce Kiguchi as a Cosplayer


Photo by JM Chua.
If there is one thing that I will never let go of, as I age, it would be the child in me. How my eyes light up when I see a toy or people in costumes portraying someone else, how an ice cream makes my crying days so much better, how my senses are heightened every time I get a chance to play in the rain, how I enjoy ‘Dolce Far Niente’, and how I get so alive every time I play video games. I won’t let go.

Bryce’s passion for cosplaying always reminds me the child in me. I’ve only known Bryce for a short time but sometimes time is never a factor in knowing a good friend when you see one. Bryce introduced me to the amazing world of Cosplaying. I don’t cosplay (although I wish I do) but being tagged along to see these people with such great passion for what they do is amazing. I have a great sense of the difference between reality and fantasy even when I was a kid but when I am in the fantasy world I don’t waste any minute to savor it. I do the same at this age.
Cosplaying sends you to a totally different world. I got a little more than curious about what goes behind the character, makeup, and costumes. I wanted to know more about the person and Bryce was gracious enough to let me. He is, after all, my closest cosplaying encounter. 
Photo by Evelyn Tabhan.

Q: How does a cosplayer define Cosplaying? 
A: Cosplay=Costume PLAY – an art where one plays a role or part while having fun. A cosplayer breathes life to an anime / manga / videogame character by wearing costumes: suits, armors, weapons, accessories—while staying in character. These days, a lot of people wear costumes solely to compete or show off and forget the essence of cosplay. If only I could live in Harajuku, Tokyo where people cosplay for fun (you can see a lot of them on the streets!), I would!

Q: How did cosplaying start?
A: They say it started when costumed fans attended science fiction conventions and the term cosplay was coined by a Japanese man around the mid-80’s. In the Philippines, I think cosplay has been around since the 90’s.

Q: How long have you been a cosplayer?

Self-portrait shot.
A: I can’t remember when or how I started.

Q: Which characters do you usually cosplay? Which character/s do you badly want to cosplay but have not been able to?
A: I usually cosplay the protagonist in a manga or anime like Suzaku of Code Geass or Onizuka of Great Teacher Onizuka (one of the best because I cosplayed with my trainees students). I badly want to cosplay the villains like Grimmjow of Bleach or Laxus of Fairy Tail.


Q: Do you consider cosplaying as an escape? Why or why not?
A: Sometimes, yes. When you stay in character for too long sometimes you forget about reality. That’s fine. What’s good about cosplay (and any other hobby you’re really passionate about) is the happy, contented feeling lingers when you get yourself back.

Q: Are there silent rules in cosplaying? If yes, what are they?
A: There are no rules. Cosplay is for FUN. There are competition rules though like you can’t bring real weapons i.e. Samurai swords in conventions for obvious reasons.

Q: Who is your favorite cosplayer? Why?
A: Kaname—a renowned Japanese cosplayer. His cosplays are impressive and remarkably accurate. I read somewhere that he’s 30+ and still cosplays.

Kaname (cosplayer)
Q: Do you think cosplaying is just a fad? Why or why not?
A: Cosplay isn’t ‘just a fad’ because it’s been around for years--decades, even. Fads don’t last that long.

Q: Share a common cosplay misconception.
A: Mascots are not cosplayers. Cashiers dressed as Sailormoon in a restaurant don’t really portray the anime character. They were asked to dress that way. A selling tool. A mascot.

Q: What would you advise someone who has not cosplayed ever but wants to start doing so?

Photo by JM Chua.
A: Don’t cosplay if you’re in it only for the money. Cosplay for fun. Or for a cause. Invite your friends. Pay attention to details i.e. colors (but don’t quote me on this). Start with something simple. Make it enjoyable.

_ End of Interview_

I have seen how Bryce’s eyes light up when he talks about cosplaying. I have seen how he got so excited, just like a little boy, when he got his Ichigo toy from his class. I have witnessed how much time he has spent preparing for an upcoming cosplay that he would sometimes set aside our team's going-out plans for it. I have seen how he can’t wait for an upcoming toy or cosplay convention and how he would remind you of it every time he can. I have experienced how he would admittedly imagine us (his friends) as anime characters. I have seen how he would think and research of a character that would best fit us in cosplay. He'd name all of us. He’d call me Nami and Ringo and other names that I haven't even heard of ; show me pictures of them and every time he does, it brings out the child in me. Whether I can really pull it off or not doesn't matter; just the thought of wearing the costume, portraying the character and getting a ‘push’ from a real cosplayer is already enough.

Photo by Roy Tuazon.

Now, that is passion emanating from a cosplayer by heart. It is not a mere hobby. It is from within.It is infectious.

Here is one of Bryce's favorite cosplay quotes from Devorah Monleon, the Clan Founder of Philippine Otaku Society of which he is an active member:
January 2, 2005 "...6 years since then...Noon, walang wig, walang contact lens, at hugot-closet lang ang costumes...BUT THAT WAS COSPLAY, full of fun, and love for the characters portrayed. Simple lang nun, pero THE BEST!"




4 comments:

  1. is he ur brother too? lyk the 1st?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, thanks for dropping by.

    Well, he isn't my brother but I treat him like one. He's a good friend. It would be awesome to have another talented one like the first jailbroken huh?! Good thing brotherhood isn't always based on blood relation. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bryce dyou have a black girl wig that I can borrow? I need it for my birthday eh. (August 11) I have a special guest who needs it. (My friend will be dressed ala-Skrillex). Thank you! -Yanyan

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've known bryce for two years...two lovely years...:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...