24 March, 2012

Grab One Today

About two days ago, my sister-in-law was rushed to the hospital. She had to undergo surgery because of her pregnancy complications. The medical expenses will not be covered by their health cards. This means they will have to shell out their own. This left my brother and his wife to use their savings and asked help from family and friends. 

I don’t have a stable savings myself. A few days before this happened, I bought a new phone. It was my first time to get a new one after four years. I am not really into phones; so long as I can text, call and take photos, am fine. However, I decided to buy a new one that is a little bit expensive only to feel, two days after, that I shouldn’t have bought it now that I need the money.

This pretty much gives you an idea that what’s left of my savings may not be enough to cover what my brother and his wife might need for their hospital bills. In fact, it was not even half.

I prayed to God before I went to the bank. I know I was about to empty my savings account with what am about to do. I was saving it for a travel this year. But I also know that my brother, and his family, is more important; that I can always save up to travel soon; that my Father can provide.

Every now and then we are faced with situations that will put our faith to the test. We wonder from which side of the earth and from which cloud of heaven the provision will come. I worry not because my Father owns both. So in faith, I went to visit my brother in Antipolo right after my night shift. I stayed for a few hours – we ate and chatted a little bit. I checked their new house and handed over my meager share of help and left in the hope that I will still be able to catch some sleep so I can go to work the night of the same day.

On my way home, I felt good and knew that I did the right thing. My faith was strengthened. I know my Father will provide. Then I got this text message from my brother.

Thanks for the assistance...For grabbing an opportunity to bless...that’s how God’s kingdom work. You will be blessed a hundrefold.

He was right. Every day, we are presented with probably a hundred opportunities to bless others. We might have seen some of them and have even grabbed them or we might have overlooked some of them.

We are never forced to help others. We are blessed with everything we need and with it come opportunities to help. We are given free will to choose to help. Helping is a choice we grab because of faith and love.

Let’s make sure to grab one every day.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. – Galatians 6:9






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...