02 November, 2012

Attraversiamo 2012: 9th Leg Destination DC

 
The Pentagon, The White House, The FBI HQ - I only get to see these places in the TV shows that I watch. These places became very familiar to me because of The X Files, 24, Fringe, Homeland and other detective shows and movies. It feels so familiar that it felt like it was deja vu when I actually saw them. I never thought, even in my wildest dreams, that I will get a chance to be in DC. It was a surreal experience.

During my trip to Virginia (which you can read about from this link), I also had a chance to spend my weekend in Washington DC. Part of my to-go list are The Pentagon and The FBI HQ. I was thrilled when I got an invitation to tour DC from a very good friend.


After that two-hour drive to DC from VA, we parked at the Union Station and signed up for a Day Tour through Big Bus Tours. They offer a sightseeing experience that allows you to hop-on and hop-off at certain points. It gives you a freedom to control your travel pace and lets you stay at places you want to spend more time at. They also offer engaging commentaries from the live guides.



The Open Top Bus starts the trip at the Union Station.

DC Ducks can give you both land and water tours.

This Old Town Trolley is available in one of the stops.

This trip became more engaging than it already is because of Erika who became our personal tour guide. She knows so much of the places we got to see. 


With Erika and Andrea.

It was a whirlwind trip - 8 hours to go around DC is not enough so am sure you can imagine it is just as hard to show everything on this entry. I will show the highlights:

1. Washington National Cathedral - the richly gothic cathedral which is the second largest in the United States.




 2. J. Edgar Hoover Building - This FBI Headquarters is located in the NW of Washington DC. I had to blink twice to realize it was real. You would probably raise an eyebrow when you hear me say "This place felt like home."



3. The Waterfront Center 


 

4. Lincoln Memorial







5. Washington Monument and the Reflecting Pool - was built in the memory of George Washington (US' first President) and is the tallest in Washington DC. When I get a chance to come back, I am definitely taking the elevator up to see the, am sure, amazing view of DC. It was mentioned during the trip that there is a DC Law stating no structure can be taller than the Washington Monument. Then, curious to know the truth, I researched a bit and found out that it is one the myths about DC. Or maybe I heard the tour guide wrong!



 
 



6. Korean War Veterans Memorial









7. Vietnam Veterans Memorial



8. FED or Federal Reserve - their version of our Central Bank of the Philippines. FED regulates the flow of money in the US.






9. Albert Einstein Memorial - imma be rubbin his nose the next visit.




10. Verizon Center



11. The White House






12.World War II Memorial - a structure dedicated to Americans who gave their lives during WW2. The Philippines' name was engraved in one of the pillars.



13. Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Bridge - took these photos for a friend who is into a BRIDGE series. This was built to honor the 26th PUSA.










14. Thomas Jefferson Memorial



15. Union Station










16. The Cop Shop and the International Spy Museum




17. The Pentagon - I saved the best for last! I did not have the time to book a tour at The Pentagon. For security reasons, cameras were not allowed while we were going around (and near) it. This is the closest shot I could while I can still press that shutter (or my camera can be confiscated).  



The Pentagon is one of the world's largest office buildings. It is US' headquarters of the DoD. This building is best viewed from above.




 
That was a long list and there's more. If there is one thing this trip has taught me, it is believing. A teenage girl who, at her young age, is already fascinated with the FBI badge, car chasing, guns and gun powder residue, blood splatter patterns, criminal profiles and the likes; finally got the chance to get so close to her dream job.

Who would have thought?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...