10 November, 2012

What if i just give up my pets?

I would lie if I say that it did not ever cross my mind.

I live on my own. While there are a number of perks in living independently, there are also struggles. While you do not have to deal with anyone going up in your grill, you also have to deal with the idea that everything will depend on your own actions. If you don't cook, you won't eat. If you don't clean up, you'll go home dead tired and pissed off arriving at an untidy crib. If you don't do the laundry, you won't have anything to wear. The list can go on and on.

I have two pets - Maxee and Champ. Maxee was rescued and Champ was adopted from an animal shelter. I used to share the responsibility of taking care of them until I had to take over and own it. As adorable as they are, it's not all skittles and melodies and rainbows.

MAXEE - a Siamese.

CHAMP - a PUSPIN
You cannot be too tired when you get home even if you really are. You have to attend to the needs of your furry companions because they can't do that for themselves. There are times when all I want to do is to lay on my bed and sleep. I can't do that. On top of the usual house chores, I have to clean the litter box, give them a hair groom, clean the feeding dishes and give them food and fresh water. If I'm lucky, I'd still be sleepy after all the action, I manage to sleep right away. In most cases, I find myself doing something else because I just lost my sleepiness.

The party doesn't end there. For the last two years now, I've struggled looking for a place where pets are allowed. I have found affordable, nice, convenient places for myself only to be rejected because of my pets. I have attempted, many times, to explain that my cats live indoor, are litter box trained, well-fed and vaccinated. Some did not even understand a word I said. Sadly, their picture of a cat is like that one they see on the streets - dirty, thin, tick infested and steals food. There were even times when I regretted not bringing photos to show them they don't look like that at all. There's even one who showered me with questions as if I was into some kind of witchcraft for getting animals to live with me. I immediately dismissed considering her as an option. I can already imagine her questioning the colors I will wear every day.

When you're a successful, single, professional female who decided not to settle down yet but have been given a privilege to make a difference in the life of one small soul by adopting or rescuing a cat, you know that you can be lined up as a candidate to the 'Crazy Cat Lady' title regardless if you chose to settle with just two to ensure you can afford it and that you do not cut corners in any angle. Even if you travel a lot, do charity work, engage yourself in church activities, go out almost every day, and maintain really great friends, there will be a number of self-righteous homo sapiens who will box you into someone who does not have a social life. I do not understand what's crazy about rescuing a thin, almost lifeless cat from the street and giving it another chance at life even if it cannot thank you in words you will understand. I do not understand what's crazy about adopting a Filipino cat from an animal shelter to free up one space for another animal in distress out there. I do not understand why buying a foreign breed animal from a pet shop comes across as a cooler choice. I have a Siamese and a native and I tell you both are capable of giving the same amount of affection.

Young CHAMP

Getting a pet isn't easy. It will turn your life around. Giving them up can make my life so convenient in a snap. But every time it crosses my mind, I make a decision to keep them. We cannot let people (and animals) into our lives and then give up on them the moment we see a chance to or when times get rough. We gotta keep goin'!

I don't give up on people (and animals) as long as they don't give up on me. I will not give up on my pets. And I don't think they will ever give up on me.





2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...