22 November, 2012

THANK YOU, Other Group of People





Thanksgiving Day!

I was trying to figure out what to write today. I wanted to take the opportunity to thank people who have been a great part of my life and use the holiday as an excuse to be a little mushy. Ha!

I changed my mind. I remembered a scene from a TV show I used to watch when I was younger, Dawson's Creek.

Abbie Morgan, infamous for being a first class bully (bully, i tried to use a term that sounds a little better) to almost everyone, died. One of her favorite subjects of ridicule is Andie Macphee. Ironically, Andie was chosen, more like pushed, to give eulogy at Abbie's funeral. These are her words:
 
There are people in my life who give me comfort. When the going gets tough, as it invariably does, I can count on them for a shoulder to cry on. They will lift me up when I fall. They will hold me in their arms as I cry and tell me, "Everything's going to be okay." I am so thankful for those people. They are priceless.

But there is another group of people, just as important, just as priceless. They are the people who challenge me, who push me to the breaking point and force me to muster courage I never thought I had...

Like Andie, I am more than grateful to all those who never get tired of lifting me up. But at this point in my life, I'd say I am equally grateful to those who have put me down.

From the teachers who have embarrassed me in class, to those who fought me at my back, to those who did not believe in what I can do, to those who betrayed my trust, to those who broke my heart, to those who discouraged me, to those who maltreated me, to those who made me cry, to those who caused me to hit rock bottom... my list can go on and on.

You have all made me the person I am today. You all became my teachers.  In those moments that I was hurting because of you I never failed to tell myself, "Am supposed to learn from you."

THANK YOU.


Photo taken from this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...