07 November, 2012

Metro Manila Adventures: Minsan, sa may Kalayaan

October 22, 2012

I did not graduate from UP but it became my second university because of film, performing arts, literature and research.

I recently ended my 2012 Food and Thoughts Series, earlier than expected. I decided to kick off a new one - Metro Manila Adventures.Every time we have visitors from another country, I don't understand why we keep on bringing them to the same places again and again when there are so many places, within Metro Manila alone, to show off. This compelled me to start counting and remind myself of it when I need some reminding. The first stop was supposed to be in Museong Pambata but circumstances stopped my friends and I from doing so.

First Stop - UP Diliman Campus.

The University of the Philippines is one of the premiere universities in the Philippines. It is located in Quezon City with a land area of 1, 220 acres. Other than the extremely high quality of education that it provides, it also became a place of relaxation and a great place to understand the Filipino culture more.

Photo Taken 3/20/2011 from a photowalk with Bryce, another UP product.

Aside from the yearly UP concerts and independent movies and plays that I always go after, there is one place in UP that I find myself going back to - Mang Larry's Isawan. What's a better way to enjoy this and UP but to bring someone who graduated from here? Today, I brought Thel.


On a Sunday afternoon, we went to UP via MRT and public jeepneys. I wanted her to go back to that feeling when she was still a student. I was successful. The moment we got off the train, she started to be nostalgic and shared stories.


We finally made it to the Sunken Garden and decided to sit down in one of tables where Thel and her friends used to stay. We went for a student snack. Yum yum!


We went around UP after as we wait for Mang Larry's store to open, and for the sun to tone down a bit.

UP has become a haven for runners, bikers, skateboarders because of its wide open space. Feel free to come over to enjoy it.

Photo Taken 3/20/2011 from a photowalk with Bryce, another UP product.


Photo Taken 3/20/2011 from a photowalk with Bryce, another UP product.

You don't have to worry about being hungry while walking or running because there is food anywhere.

Photo Taken 3/20/2011 from a photowalk with Bryce, another UP product.

Finally, to Mang Larry's Isawan. Guess who took my order, Mang Larry himself. Ha!


The place was jampacked and lines were long. There was not enough parking space too for those who brought their wheels. There is no doubt that this delectable street food is a hit to its customers who come from all walks of life. They serve barbequed pork or chicken innards and fruit shakes to complete a meal.  It comes with spicy or sweet vinegar or sauce. Your P50- can surely go a long way.

If you get tired of the fancy restaurants and malls and are willing to exercise by walking or biking, then UP is a great place for you.

Other events to look forward to in UP are the yearly UP Lantern Parade, UP Fair and the Oblation Run.


All photos owned by Fox Llante.

1 comment:

  1. Needless to say, UP changed my life in a holistic approach! Nostalgic indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...