31 December, 2010

The Lives of Dave and Grace: After the Trip

Grace just arrived from a long trip and was startled by a surprise visit from Dave. She was upstairs when she heard a familiar voice she had wanted to hear.

She said, “Yeah, it’s him!” She hurriedly followed the voice and hoped it was not a dream. She opened the door. He was wearing a pink polo. Her thought bubbles said, “Brave man!” They hugged. It was quick and casual; at least that’s how it came out but they both knew it was indeed quick but definitely not casual.

They sat on their favorite couch not knowing how to start the conversation. To break the silence, he said, “So, I wanna see the pictures!”

She suddenly remembered she promised him she will show him some. She hurriedly went upstairs, took her camera and showed him the pictures.

“This is a good one!’
“Now, this is a really good one!”
“This could have been better if…”
“This one is not so good because…”

She thought “I like him because he tells me what I should hear and not what I want to hear.” She remembered herself saying many times, during their conversations here and there about this and that,  “Do not patronize me. You have to tell me the truth, always.”

Silence.

To break the silence once again, Dave asked “Did you have fun?” She said, “I did but it could have been more fun if you were with me.” He blushed a little bit.

“How are you? What kept you busy?” she immediately stopped the sweet awkward moment.

Like a little child, he started to enumerate all his mishaps - a bruise on his elbow, his back pain, the cut on his finger and a bruise on his leg.  A little bit disappointed, she interrupted and said, “What happened to you? What did you do? I remember I clearly told you before I left that you have to take care of yourself because I will be gone for two days which means you have no one to take care of but yourself!”

He stared at her and said, “This is what happens when I don’t take care of you.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...