26 December, 2010

Iris

Photo taken by Jhunnie and post-processed by Paul Tengco.
There was one point in my life as a kid when I wanted to become an angel. More than anything, I think I was fascinated by how they look or at least how I think they look like – white robe, bright light, sweet smile and the amazing halo. I was, after all, a kid.
Later on in life I put into writing these thoughts I had from that said moment when I was a child and you are about to read it. Believe me; it took me a lot of courage to actually blog this. To me, it was just a handful of magnified words I thought of some years ago, which may not be coherent at all and the organization may not even pass the qualifications of a grade school paper; not to mention my fear of being tagged as “different” or “weird” or “whatever”; but, these were my thoughts and my questions and I should not be ashamed of them. I was, (and still am) after all, a kid.


-Start-  

Do you believe in angels?
Keeping my fascination for “The X Files” distant from this topic, I do.
We have been exposed to “angel stories” in all forms and sizes. Whether we believe it or not, the idea is appealing. It unexplainably allows us to get in touch with The Greater Power. It somehow encourages us to contemplate our spirituality which brings us back to the basic questions of our existence. What am I? Why am I here? What am I made of?
Have you experienced staring at yourself in a mirror, and suddenly you just feel so far away from yourself? It’s like staring at a different person. Try staring at someone you know very well. Look closely at how s/he moves or talks and suddenly have this crazy feeling of not knowing him/her at all. Am starting to freak you out with my thoughts? Hope not. The Mystery of Existence – our metaphysical connection to each other and the cosmos. This is the reason why we get so fascinated by stories we don’t normally hear. We need answers to questions our human minds can’t fathom.
When we were children, we were told that we all have guardian angels. We were told to listen to whatever good things that little voice tells us. When we got older, we named it conscience. As we age, we become more factual, logical and sometimes, a little too scientific. We don’t normally buy “angel stories” anymore.
So, the inevitable question – do I still believe in angels? The answer is YES; but, I also believe that not all angels have wings. Aside from the millions of angels in heaven, we also have a bunch on earth. So don’t look for halos or wings. Don’t wait for a descension from heaven. Some angels are in flesh – could be the person next to you, or the one preparing your dinner every night, someone you love or even someone you despise.
Have you found yours? If you have, then you’ve been blessed to have been touched by an angel. If you haven’t, think again, someone might have just found you.
-          Written November 1996

-End-

Thank GOD for angels, with or without halos. J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...