24 February, 2012

10: Gratefulness, Acceptance and Hope


Gratefulness, Acceptance and Hope
Butter Diner
Cubao, Quezon City PH
February 24, 2012
Project: Food & Thoughts No. 10

  


Grateful, accepting and hopeful.

Today is a very important day for me. I was finally able to hand over the money I collected from my birthday project for PAWS.  With the help of Project Tenfold, my plan was to start our own TNR project. However, due to the demands of work and our crazy schedules, we decided to just wait for PAWS’ next spaying/neutering efforts. Yesterday, I found out that PAWS will sponsor a free spaying/neutering of pets owned by families who can’t afford so I hurriedly went to the bank to withdraw the money I kept for more than four months, careful not to ever touch it despite my recent financial issues. I went to PAWS, together with a good friend Jem, to hand it over. This will help them fund either the current project or other spaying/neutering projects in the future. P8000 is actually too small to sponsor efforts like this but little help still helps. Too bad I couldn't stay long to help out due to work.

With PAWS admin, Cha.

After work and PAWS, Jem and I decided to go on a food trip. He brought me to Butter Diner. More like, his feet brought us there. Haha! I have always been fascinated with restaurants with the 50’s theme. I love the ‘Diner’ concept. We treated ourselves with a hearty breakfast. We ordered the following:




Jeff's Tuna Sandwhich @ P110.
Tuna chunks with melted American cheese in sliced bread.
Eggs and Meatloaf @ P99.
Two eggs and four slices of meatloaf.
Double Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae @ P125.

We also ordered a cup of hot chocolate for P60 and a glass of Iced Tea for  P55.


It turned out that we didn't go there by accident. Jem decided to go there for a reason. Although he was hesitant to get in at first. I liked the place at first sight so I left him at the door checking out the menu and I got in.



When we sat down, he confessed that this restaurant carries a good memory of him and his ex 5 years ago. We talked about how they celebrated his birthday here, the good things they had talked about and the good feeling it brought him that time.


Morning Shade
This is not the first time we talked about his past. Every time there is a chance to talk about our lives, we would; that's what good friends do. Although I know Jem has already moved on with his life and is so willing to embrace his future and let go of the past, the thought of it may bring a sad moment sometimes. The sadness is no longer coming from our desire to get the person back but more from the question "Why did it have to end that way?". How can a person who has loved us so much at the beginning leave us hurt and broken? 

I have had my own share of this feeling but God is good all the time. He heals even our broken hearts.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." 
                                                                                            - Psalm 34:18

Don't get me wrong. Today wasn't a sad day for us. Just because we talk about the past and the pain it gave us doesn't mean we are sad. This food trip was about Gratefulness, Acceptance and Hope. Grateful for birthdays and second chances, accepting of break ups and the heartbreak that goes along with it and believing and hoping that the best is yet to come.


Sorry for the quality, forgot to shift to auto-focus
before giving the camera to the waitress.

I celebrate life every day because I know that I have every reason to. To the God of second chances and to the God who is in the business of changing lives, I cling to. Despite what I have been through in the past; whether be it about family, friends or relationships, He never failed to show His faithfulness and provision. Today I am grateful. We are grateful.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."                         - James 1:2-5











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...