23 July, 2012

Woodwork Angels


In the second session of the The Yoghurt Brigade, we discussed about Woodwork Angels. It's a phrase used by Varda One (who submitted a story to a book) to refer to a dentist who gave her free services when she expressed she can't pay as she was still in college. The stranger told her that she can pay the services when she graduates and gets a job. 

Woodwork from the idiom out of the woodwork which means out of obscurity or a place of seclusion; thus woodwork angels are people who come out from nowhere and help us. 

I have a list of my own woodwork angels. On the top of my list is a Christian man from Japan who became my school sponsor when I was in grade school to am not sure when. I don't even know his name.

Let me give you the details:

I came from a poor family. Don't get me wrong! I am glad I did. It taught me to value the more important things in life. It also makes me sleep well at night even if I don't have new clothes or even if I don't have the latest gadget. It also made me feel good about how I look and where I am because it taught me how to appreciate whatever I have and pray and wait for whatever I don't.

We go to a church who is connected to different Christian churches worldwide. These churches are usually from the US and Japan. These men and women are professionals who would go on mission trips to our church to render free medical services, teach Sunday schools and help bring kids to school. I remember, at the age of 12, I'd volunteer to be their interpreter. I had a pretty decent grasp of English at an early age. Thanks to the influence of my father.

They handpicked students with good school records and are active in church. This ensures we are cared for in all aspects - spiritually, intellectually, socially and emotionally. They will send money (at that time, P700 a month) to help our school needs. Occasionally, they will send gifts. 

strived harder in school because I wanted my sponsor to know that none of his efforts will be put in vain. By God's grace, I became a consistent honor student and graduated Salutatorian. 

Before my graduation, he visited me. He came over and asked my mother and our church staff to visit him in the hotel where he stays. From my memory, it looks like it was in a hotel along Bayview. I was told to bring my report card to show him my good grades and the good comments of my teacher. I remember being a little bit scared. I was also trying to imagine what he looks like. 

The hotel door opened and I saw his smile. He did look Japanese to me. He has thick eyebrows, small eyes, wearing white shirt and gray shorts. Gauging his age now, I'd say he's 45-50. He smiled at me and said something that didn't register to me. They talked and we ate pizza. Before we left he gave me a pretty white watch that I held dearly in my heart until I can no longer use it. 

That was the first and last time I saw him. Now that am older, I wish I had gotten his name and contact information so he'd see where God has taken me now. He wasn't sending big amounts of money every month but it was his heart that brought me to school. Life is hard for any child whose family cannot afford everything you need. But knowing that there are people out of the woodwork whom God can use to bless us, I was contented. 

To my Woodwork Angel, how I wish you can read this. How I wish I can buy you coffee to thank you for helping a stranger like me. I don't even know if you're still alive but it is my prayer that you find peace knowing that you have been God's instrument of His love and faithfulness. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...