29 May, 2012

bcc:


 image not mine.
About three weeks ago, I received an email from a stranger selling cars. It was sent to my work mail. I have no idea who this person is and I am 100% I did not sign up for it.  I also don’t have plans of buying a car. I immediately, deleted the email and hoped it never happens again.

The email looked legit to me. However, emails from strangers to strangers should have proper introduction (which is a different story) unless, your email address was copied from another email of a person you know who is not responsible enough to hide your email address to strangers.

I know that an email address is not exactly private information. However, as a courtesy to the owner, it should be treated as such.

In as much as I love receiving those forwarded inspiring messages and/or regular words of encouragement, I will also appreciate it if the sender utilizes the BCC (blind carbon copy) email option. There is no logical reason for one to expose everyone’s email addresses to everyone else on the email when they don’t even know each other and have nothing to do with each other's opinion of the content of the mail. This also brings me to another point where one should not use the reply to all button when it’s not necessary. 

If you are forwarding an email, delete all the other email addresses you see from its original email.

Our intention in sending the email may be good but there are some who take advantage of this wrong move to get email addresses for their own marketing (and who knows what else) strategies.

In today’s age where private information can just be one click away, every single precaution is counted. More importantly, a doze of email etiquette is necessary.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...