17 January, 2014

When You Have Nothing to Write About...20 Tips!


If the story can’t find us, we look for the story.  

In your whole writing career, am sure it has happened to you - inability to write. What should I write about today? Where will I get an inspiration? There is no response from your head. None. Nada.
 

Back in grade school years, I became part of the Journalism Club. I was one of the Editors-in-Chief of the school paper. I thought it was the career I was destined to take. I was wrong. As I got older, I felt that my writing became dependent more on my mood. I can no longer write with a deadline. I cannot be forced to write. However, when I feel the urge to, I can’t stop it either. I recently joined a paid blogging site where the number of your qualified articles determine how much you earn. Imagine how it may be a little too overwhelming for me. On this blog, I write an average of just 5 entries per month.
 

If you have the gift of being able to write all the time, I salute and envy you. In my case, I get through those episodes of Nada more often than most of you. Now that I have followers on my blog and, also, trying my chance in paid blogging, I try to address those I-can’t-think-of-what-to-write moments:

Let me share them with you. If it will help you at least once, then it’s worth your time.



1. Look for an old photo that could generate a story out of you. It does not even have to be yours. It could be someone else’s. Note: Be sure to give credit to the owner.

2. Visit your Facebook, Twitter, or any other social networking sites, and read your old posts which may remind you of a good story you could write about. You might be surprised of how many you’ll remember. It will also be a good way to reflect on what you have learned from them and tell us so we can learn from it, too.

3. Watch a movie or an episode of your favorite TV show and talk about a scene that caught your interest.

4. Look for your old works – poems, stories etc. Refresh its meaning to you. Your perspective may have changed with time.

5. Call an old friend or someone you have not talked to for a very long time. You’ll find new stories from old friends.

6. Think about something you have not done and talk about it.

7. Do you have kids or pets? Watch them and learn. There’s always a story to tell from those babies, furry or not.

8. Recall a weekend adventure, or a travel, or food you have experienced. People love to hear those. I would love to read that.

9. Go out and eat in a restaurant you have not tried. Talk about your experience.

10. What are your plans for the weekend? Talk about it. Are you traveling? Show us your itinerary and then tell us if you got to follow it when you come back. That’s two stories in one!

11. Listen to a favorite song and talk about it or talk about a song you hate hearing and tell us why.

12. Turn on the TV and watch the news. Tell us your opinion

13. Turn on the TV and watch the TV ads and talk about it.

14. Think about the things you usually tell yourself. Write yourself a letter.

15. Get up. Go out for an hour. See the outside world. You might be spending too much time in an enclosed space. The world has a lot to offer.

16. Been finding stories outside your house for a while? Try your own home. Look around, you might see something you've never seen before and surprise yourself.

17. Talk about a favorite TV character. It should be someone you see yourself attached to.

18. Take a shower. You might need a refreshing experience to clear your mind. One of my good friends makes better decisions after a good shower.

19. Write about how you feel about not being able to come up with a story. Turn your mess into a message. I did.

20. Sleep. Sleep well. A dream might give you a story.
If none of these work, GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK FROM WRITING. It will come back. It will always come back. Remember, the number of posts you write does not define you as a writer. It is what you write and a little bit of your readers’ reaction to it that do.

Happy Waiting! Happy writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...