05 January, 2012

Guest Writer: Purple Robe 3 - The Privilege of Giving by RM Capco


Guest Writer: PURPLE ROBE 3 - The Privilege of Giving 
By RM Capco




Dec. 11 Purple Robe 3. It was a cold morning; we're going to meet up to pick up all the stuff and food we'll be bringing for the event. As I wait for the others, I remember the day I was told of this activity...(Ok, I might join)... See, outreach activities are actually something that's not new to me. I've been to many slum areas, met different people during feeding sessions and medical missions. I know how it looks like, smell like and all that. I thought I'd already known enough.

Photo by CLEM JIMENEZ.
Time passes by and my lifestyle made me busy with lots of things. I realized, I'm forgetting to see the world outside the office, malls, beaches, cafes and bars I've been in to. It's really been a while. I still know how to do it. I remember what I used to do but honestly, I forgot what it feels like to be in those places again, what it feels like to take part and help.

Dec. 2 4th Planning Session. Again, we were asked of who's joining the activity. I hadn't said yes or no that day. It's scheduled on a weekday. I feel like going but I was having second thoughts for I also got invites for parties and out-of-town trips. We were told that those who won't be able to join the activity could still help in packing the donations we received on the day before the event. (My chance! but....naaah!) I already got other plans that day so, still, I didn't give my yes.

Dec. 8 God must have known my desire to help. Most of the time, I desire for it but don't have the enough will to do so. An email was sent that packing of donations was moved a day earlier. I told myself, this would be much easier than actually joining the event. I thought At least I could help.

Dec. 9 This is it ( I thought...) Friday morning, we separated and packed stuff by color coding - Yellow bag for adult females, blue bag for adult males, green for female kids, blue for male kids and white for babies. I thought it was easy but NO! I had this difficulty (I know they did, too) deciding what clothes to put into the bags - which top goes with this skirt, or which shorts go with this shirt, or which toys will go with these shoes or slippers.I NEVER THOUGHT PUTTING STUFF IN A BAG WOULD BE THAT HARD but thank God for the patience and the curiosity He gave me. I got curious to whom those packed stuff would be given to. I suddenly got so excited! I can't wait for Sunday!

Oops! I did not say yes to the event.

Dec. 10 I know it's late. I was so hesitant to ask if I could still join. I'm worried there won't be enough seats and space. I was so shy. I texted someone I could just actually talk to (She sits just in front of my work station) to ask if I could still join. My expectation was set but somehow I'm hopeful. I told myself I've done my part anyway. If I can't join, that's fine. 

But God had His way. I'm still not sure why but when the final list of participants was sent, I was there. I was even assigned to take care of the first aid kit. COOL! Then, a message from a friend was received, our trip was just cancelled. At the moment, I asked "God, what are you trying to show me? This shouldn't be something new to me..."

Dec. 11 Purple Robe 3. After the last minute food packing, off we went to Quezon City. We took the road in search of homeless folks - families who live in kariton, sleeps on the cold asphalt. I seldom go out of the van. I could just help handing out the bags to the team and see from afar the look of those people we met - those smiles on their faces, the surprise look and the warm Salamat and Merry Christmas, the cats and dogs we saw along the way, those who despite not having money would still share food to their pets are heart melting!

Photo by Bryce Kiguchi
We ended the day at the Hospicio de San Jose, an institution caring for children and elderly where we dropped off the donation bags that we still have. We had a chance to meet old folks and very cute babies and kids there. 'Twas a looooong day but I surely had fun. Tiring yet fulfilling at the same time.

I've been to other activities like this before and while many of these experiences are immensely rewarding, none compare to this ultimate outreach experience that once again, I feel revived. The feeling I used to know, God has let me experience it again. With all those parties and trips and nigh-outs just having a good time was just too selfish of me wasting money while others don't even have enough to buy food to eat or a house to live in. Once again, I felt contentment.

I have been fortunate enough to have worked with an amazing Project Tenfold Circle. I have been blessed to be a part of the event Purple Robe 3. I am thankful for the privilege of giving.

I thought participating in the event is the chance given to me to reach out and help those needy and homeless but guess what? ... they just taught me how to be more grateful of what I already have and that I am blessed so I could share and bless others.

I thought I was the one who gave them something, yet it's wisdom I just received from them. 

- E   N   D -



GUEST WRITER
RM Capco

"STRAWBERRYHOLIC" – She loves anything strawberry.

Chef Wannabe – She loves cooking and, sometimes, baking. She buys recipe/cook books and search the internet for the recipes and the how to's/tips in cooking and baking. She’s still looking forward to enrolling in culinary school and be a chef someday.

Frustrated Singer – She loves to sing though she claims that singing doesn't seem to like her but she says her dogs love it when she sings them a lullaby.

Hemophobic- She’s afraid of blood. Her heart beats faster, her head aches, she feels dizzy, sometimes cries; and worst, she faints when she sees blood. Ironically, she was asked to do the ‘nurse’ job during Purple Robe 3. Thank God nobody had to ask for her nursing services.


Other related links you may like are: 

LIKE us in Facebook here.
Selfish Luck
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...