31 January, 2012

Attraversiamo 2012: 2nd Leg Destination Pangasinan


Attraversiamo 2012: 2nd Leg Destination Pangasinan
January 28-30, 2012


Just arrived.
I wanted to surprise myself with what Pangasinan has to offer so I was so careful not to search the net too much about it. I wanted to try a famous restaurant in Pangasinan for my 2012 FOOD TRIPS (click this link) segment, so I searched for its address. As I was searching, I found out that Lingayen, Pangasinan is known to be the ‘Most Romantic Place in the Philippines’. I wondered why. It isn’t exactly a famous spot for honeymoon or weddings like Baguio or Tagaytay or Boracay. I was curious to find out why.

We did not have to worry about accommodation since we are staying at a friend’s house – Nel’s. Their house offers a countryside feel and comfort showered by the very warm accommodation of everyone in it and the sumptuous food prepared by his mom.  

Day 1 

The travel took more than 4 hours because we left Manila a little bit later than planned so we were caught in a heavy traffic in Tarlac. We ate lunch upon arrival, toured the place we are staying in and rested a bit to get ready for a short trip to the city where we got to see the very well-maintained Capitol Building of Pangasinan and, of course, to Lingayen Gulf.  







Lingayen Gulf is an extension of the South China Sea. When I found out that it is, I got excited and reminisced on my experience of the Las Penitas and Poneloya Beaches in the Pacific Ocean coast of Nicaragua. The waves are raging, wild, and free. 

When we got to the Lingayen Gulf shore, I was silenced by its beauty. I have always mentioned in my past blog entries how bodies of water can intimidate me. I immediately took my camera out and attempted to take a picture of the scene. Then, I felt like my photo cannot give justice to the scene so I switched to taking a video. There is an ample distance between the shore and the area where stores, cottages, etc are located. This gives visitors more than enough space to play, stroll and walk around with family and friends. It also keeps the shore free from trash. There's kite gliding, too, for recreation. I wanted to try but time wasn't really on our side.

We started swimming at around 6PM and didn’t stay long because the place turned pitch-black in no time. The moon was the only light we have. I wanted to stay as I was enjoying the exchange of stories while on water but we all didn't want Nel to worry about us. He didn't swim to look after us and our things. Sweet :)  



We didn’t bother to shower after and decided to get on a tricycle and go back home all dripping wet. Haha! It was fun and …oh so COLD! Simple moments like this give so much happiness. There were 6 of us squeezed in a tricycle. My eyes were closed during the ride so I can feel the cold air on my face more. I was curled up to keep my body warm but I was smiling. There was so much gratefulness in my heart I can't contain it.

Upon reaching home, we got ready for dinner in haste. We were so excited to taste another set of meals prepared by Nel’s mom. We were not disappointed. Pinka was the favorite.



Day 2 

I woke up to this red gumamela on my bed - a good morning surprise from Nel's niece. What a sweet morning!

After a satisfying breakfast, we immediately went to Dagupan for my FOOD TRIP #5. It was a little bit far from Lingayen but because I have earlier mentioned my wanting to try the famous Matutina’s Seafood Restaurant, everyone was supportive to join me. Matutina’s Restaurant is known to be the former President Arroyo’s favorite in Pangasinan. I won't write about it in this entry but you can join me in this food trip by reading this link

After the meal, we went to the nearby Tondaligan Resort in Bonuan, took pictures of the sunset, went around some more and headed home to catch the market for pasalubong.  

Last Night

Nel, the host, couldn’t let this night pass without spending some time with his buddies. Time flies and he would have to leave them again and go back to Manila. I joined them and spent the whole night chatting, singing, laughing and eating. They have shared all their childhood stories, relationship mishaps and joys, and their adventures in Manila. Nel and his best friend Sherwin have spent almost their entire lives in Pangasinan. To make ends meet, both have tried their luck in Manila. Sherwin wasn't as lucky as Nel. (I used 'lucky' for a lack of a better term but I don't really believe in luck).Sherwin had to leave his job in Manila and stay in Pangasinan. Every time Nel goes home, they don't waste their time. They spend the nights having fun with the rest of their friends. They have gone through a lot which made their friendship strong. They would finish each other's sentences and watching them made me realize how simplicity can bring unfathomable joy and satisfaction, and route our eyes to the more important things in life – healthy childhood, friendship, loyalty and family. Although I wish that Nel finds a good life here in Manila, I know that whatever happens, he has a good life to go back to in Pangasinan with his family and friends anytime he wants. This thought gives me relief...And that's not luck!

Day 3

We went home Monday morning. It was a sad moment as we all didn’t want to go. Something happened in there. Something that made us want more, and maybe…go back. Now that I think about it, it really is the Most Romantic Place in the Philippines. It gives you beauty and warmth in the simplest, most romantic way possible. 



With Nel's mom.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...